This spring a little rabbit moved in under our back deck.
I named him Cosmo.
I saw him almost every morning, hoping around the yard and munching on all the clover in our grass.
But it wasn’t long before he discovered the yummy new veggies I had planted in my vegetable garden!
The fence was no match for this tiny guy! And he had quite the appetitie. He ended up eating three bell pepper plants, two hot pepper plants, three eggplant plants and an entire broccoli stalk all within a matter of days! I knew it was time to rabbit proof my fence if I wanted any hope of getting fresh vegetables.
And it worked great! You can check out my post about building it here.
I fed him fresh fruit, oats and water in hopes of being able to pet him, but I could never get close enough.
As he got bigger I saw him less, but he still came back to visit every now and then.
Then the best thing ever happened….
Cosmo had a baby!!!!!!!!
Now they both come visit my yard 🙂
In my last veggie garden update, I talked about how a certain little rabbit named Cosmo had been visiting my veggie garden.
I was using a rabbit repellent spray which seemed to be working, but shortly after my post that hungry guy ate ALL of my eggplant and banana pepper plants, most of my bell pepper plants, one chili pepper plant and entire broccoli plant! All in a matter of a few days! So I knew it was time to line the fence with rabbit wire.
First I had to seal the entire fence with a water proof and UV proof sealant. It took forever!
Then we took turns stapling the rabbit wire to the inside of the fence. It was tricky to unroll it, but the stapling part was fun! We had to be so careful not to squish the vegetable plants. At one point I screamed because I thought Steven had stepped on my last hot pepper plant. Turns out he had stepped just in front of it but I gave him a good scare!
Making sure the gate was rabbit proof
We worked on it every evening for about a week. We were worried the wire would make the fence ugly, but I acutally like it! I think it makes it look more like a vegetable garden and gives it a finished look. If I had known this ahead of time we would have finished the fence before we planted the vegetables so it would have been easier. We ended up losing a few bean plants, one got squished and one got covered in the sealant, turned brown and died. But I had a bunch of bean plants so not big deal!
The fence has been up for a few weeks now and so far no more veggie fatalities! I can’t believe one little rabbit could do so much destruction, but at least now my plants are safe 🙂
It was fun building the fence, but I am looking forward to next year when all I need to do is rough up the soil and put the plants in the ground.